Sunday, December 4, 2011

New Haul

Got a killer batch of platters at the Record Exchange today. What I've really been hunting for lately is old school (is there any other kind) Euro/Canadian speed metal, but I wasn't really expecting to find anything anyway. Hell, I still don't really know what I'm looking for on the Speed Metal front. I just listen to whatever utube vid is on the sidebar of the one I'm watching. I find some great stuff on there, but forget most of it. But w/e cuz I got some champ 'cerdz.
This is part two of what I guess is a three part Link Wrap comp put out by a label called Norton in 1990. Haven't heard much Link Wray (only Rumble I think), but I knew this comp would be killer because the liner notes say "ished" instead of "issued." Got it still sealed for ten bux. Only opened the shrinkwrap at the edge, then let it sit empty while I went to get Nachos. Came back and the sleeve was warped to hell! Guess that's a lesson about old shrinkwrap? Loosed it from its bonds and put the record back in, and it's fine now, except the pressure or whatever separated the top edge of the sleeve. So now I have a cool old record instead of a cool new record. 

Seriously everyone who likes 70s rock (so everyone who likes rock?) should know who Split Enz are, but people don't. This is the American issue of their second album under the title of their first album or whatever? My brother explained it to me. All I care about is that side one is FUCKING INVINCIBLE. "Late Last Night," "Walking Down a Road," "Titus," Lovey Dovey," and "Sweet Dreams." THAT SHOULD RAISE THE HAIR ON THE BACK OF A ROCK FAN'S NECK. But I wouldn't even know that if my mom wasn't e-friends with a Kiwi who sent us a Split Enz DVD years ago. 

Marhsall Crenshaw is my new main jam. This guy is the middle ground between Alex Chilton and Joe Jackson or something? I didn't know that was something I was looking for, but man I'm into it. Extra Stoke: I already had this album in my stack for 5bux, but then I spotted it in the bargain box for 2. So I took that extra scratch and picked up:

New York Tendaberry which record store guys and my brother tell me is THE Laura Nyro album. I haven't really listened to her yet, even though her killer rep precedes her. I have heard the album she did with LaBelle. There is some serious belting on that album, and I love belting. Plus, she wrote Wedding Bell Blues, which is an astoundingly solid jam.

All I know about Yellow Magic Orchestra is the song Computer Games. But anyone who knows how much I love Casiopea and 70s Herbie (Thrust specifically) would know that Computer Games alone is enough for me to take a 9.95 gamble on Some YMO Record (didn't even notice the name of the record at the shop, but I think it's called Naughty Boys). If I dig it, I'll probably pick up the other two records they had in stock at the exchange. 
Also from the 2dollar bin, here's "In a Wild Sanctuary" by Beaver & Krause. Didn't know anything about this when I picked it up, but the cover looked pretty Old School New Age, and then the liners sold me. "Environmental impressions recorded with Moog Synthesizer, Hammond organ, congas, cuicas, tablas, tambourines, drums, piano, guitar, wooden and metal flutes, the sea, live voices, live lions, birds, monkeys, cable car tow cable clicks and San Fransisco muni buses." That sells me right there. Other items of note: Moog record from 1970; Ralph Nader is listed in the Thank Yous; a guy is credited with "all kinds of flutes"; radio promo copy; THIS IS WHERE THE THX WOOSH COMES FROM. I din't know that last bit til I jammed it. This is a pretty solid record. Review to follow?

My shopping buddy Broah Noah picked up some Rundgren and some Steely Dan. Then, as we're walking out, Record Exchange Bill clues us in to the free tape and record sections. I pick up a best of Rundgren tape and then like THIRTY FIELD RECORDING/SOUND EFFECTS RECORDS. Most of it is from the CBS Music Library series or the Capitol Media Music series. I also picked up this Jackie Gleason presents Velvet Brass comp because of the foxy ladies on the front. I've always thought about starting a foxy 60s cover star collection, but it kinda makes me feel like a creep. But hell, if it's free...

1 comment:

  1. Laura Nyro is pretty great. I like her album Smile. And I've only heard "The Bells" off the album she did with LaBelle, but trust me, I'm looking for it.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete